Kindness, the effect of being friendly, generous, and considerate, costs nothing. But the impact kindness has on an individual can be immense. Not only does it affect how we feel but it also affects us physically. Hormones are released and stress levels are lowered in measurable ways. Mood is enhanced and anxiety and depression improve.
This year, kindness has more power than ever before. Every single one of us has been tested. So a little bit of rahma to our friends, family, community and ourselves goes an incredibly long way.
Random Acts of Kindness Day is a day to celebrate and encourage random acts of kindness. Since most of us are staying safe in our homes, here are a few ways to make someone's day, even during a pandemic:
- many people are out of work - leave them a LinkedIn recommendation to help them get back on their feet
- we all know someone that has started a small biz (who did you think of?) support them by making a purchase (or even leaving kind comments on their page)
- make more of an effort with recycling (our world needs kindness too)
- gift meaningful jewelry from a conscious brand, like our rahma set - each purchase supports HEART in the groundwork they do to confront sexual violence and nurture sexual health.
- call a lonely relative and play a virtual game with them, or tell them a dad joke!
- getting surprise mail is such a great pick-me-up! Send someone flowers, a sweet treat or a personalized gift through the post.
- keep it simple - text someone you haven't spoken to in a while and remind them that they are awesome.
- practice rahma and donate food, clothes or money to the homeless in your area
- most of us seem to be redecorating our homes - how about sending someone meaningful and minimal wall art?
- most importantly - remember to be kind to yourself :)
Even in the most difficult times, we can choose to be kind.
This year we are trying to generate the feeling of kindness in ourselves, and then radiating it to the world! What about you?
Here are some more ideas if you're looking for more inspo!